Hattiesburg, MS, USAReq #11681
Friday, September 18, 2020
General Assignment Reporter - Temporary
The Hattiesburg American/, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK has an opening for a temporary general assignment reporter. If you are locally-based and have writing talent and a passion for reporting local news – including the actions of local government and school boards, crime, court proceedings, the activities of local organizations, local events and entertainment, the local business climate, personality profiles, etc. -- then we invite you to apply.
Ethical standards, solid news judgement, reporting and writing skills (e.g., a clean writing style and solid understanding of grammar, spelling, etc.), a commitment to accuracy, attention to detail, dependability and adhering to tight deadlines are all a must.
This is a temporary position that is expected to last 2-3 months.
- Reporter will handle daily assignments that could include breaking news reporting, writing, online production assignments, social media, audio and video editing and visual journalism.
- Gathers information from sources at any locations and through any means commonly available for news stories, although not necessarily at the skills level of a spot-news reporter.
- Interviews subjects in person, over the telephone or via computer, and in writing.
- Travels quickly to wherever the news occurs or is being disseminated.
- Researches written materials, graphic and photographic materials, as well as audio and video recordings.
- Quickly and accurately reports information, either verbally or electronically, for publication.
- Helps in the production of photographs and graphics that would be helpful in supporting stories.
- Participates in brainstorming sessions.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1-3 years reporting experience preferred.
- Strong command of AP writing, spelling, grammar, and style.
- Reporting Skills.
- Well-organized, detail-oriented and flexible.
- Open to new ideas, new experiences and learning on the job.
- Critical thinking and analytical skills.
- Technical skills (will vary depending on the assignment).
- Ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience performing a wide variety of tasks under the pressure of deadlines.
- Ability to communicate effectively across all levels of the organization.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills required.
- Advanced proficiency in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- This role requires a valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and drug screen (for driving roles only).
How to Apply:
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1.Your resume – one to two pages.
2.A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3.Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what you’ve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
- Job FamilyColumnist and Journalist
- Job FunctionConsumer
- Pay TypeHourly
- Required EducationEquivalent Experience