Join our team and experience Workday!It's fun to work in a company where people truly believe in what they're doing. At Workday, we're committed to bringing passion and customer focus to the business of enterprise applications. We work hard, and we're serious about what we do. But we like to have a good time, too. In fact, we run our company with that principle in mind every day: One of our core values is fun.
Job DescriptionAbout the team
Offering a complete cloud-based ERP solution to thousands of unique customers, some of which have hundreds of thousands of employees, is an interesting prospect! Add to that a SLA of 99.96% availability of Workday for customers, an exponentially growing customer base, along with the deployment of a steady stream of new features to delight our customers and you will start to appreciate some of the challenges tackled by Workday’s Environments organisation.
If you’re interested in knowing more about what Workday looks like under the hood, here’s a great breakdown of the Workday architecture:
So, where exactly does the Environments organisation fit into the Workday picture?
The Environments organisation is responsible for pushing new code to our existing customers, along with monitoring the health, performance and reliability of the Workday stack. Within the Environments organisation, Automation & Frameworks are a global team focused primarily on automating and optimising the operational tasks involved in weekly updates to the Workday stack, in addition to the deployment of new services into our customer environments.
About the role:
- You will work on the automation of business-critical operational tasks through a combination of:
- Ansible-based tooling developed across several Workday teams.
- Use of Chef.
- Bash scripting orchestrated using BMC’s BladeLogic product.
- Bespoke Python and Ruby applications, developed by the Automation team.
- Analysis of our current tooling performance to identify incremental improvements.
- You will be involved in driving the future direction of how we deliver improvements to key business functions like patching/upgrading the Workday stack.
- You will work closely with the wider Environments organisation on monitoring and performance of the Workday customer environments.
- You will operate as the technical leader of the Automation team in Dublin, working with global counterparts to identify and implement improvements to our current tools and processes.
- You will support your teammates in the development of their technical skills.
- You will build strong partnerships with cross-functional teams and have open communication to ensure that we continue to meet our SLAs
A bit about you:
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science/Information Systems or related technical field
- You have 10+ years experience of working in a Linux/Unix Operating Environment, ideally with Systems Administration experience.
- You have 10+ years of working with multiple scripting languages, specifically shell (bash), Python and Ruby
- You have extensive knowledge of source control management tools, ideally GIT or Mercurial.
- You have an excellent working knowledge of Configuration Management tooling, specifically Ansible, Puppet or Chef
- You have experience of leveraging CI/CD pipelines using Jenkins
- You are passionate about technology and enjoy investigating new tools and techniques to seek out better ways of automating operational tasks.
- You have experience of coaching and mentoring team mates.
- You demonstrate good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for delivering solutions
- You have strong troubleshooting skills and can work on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors
- You have strong documentation skills and can multitask efficiently
Very beneficial if you have:
- Previous experience with BladeLogic
- You enjoy working in a distributed team environment and have knowledge of Service Oriented Architecture, Web services and distributed systems
- Worked with MySQL
- You have a good working knowledge of deploying Java applications on Apache Tomcat.
- Hands-on experience to build and handle Containers utilizing tools like Kubernetes, Docker
- Experience of Disaster Recovery design and implementation.
- Experience with private or public cloud environments
At Workday, we believe every potential recruit brings value to the table. Believe you are missing some of the skills and are hesitant to apply? We do not believe in the ‘perfect’ candidate and are happy to teach. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, apply and see what we are all about.