Team and Product Description:The Database Access group at Oracle is responsible for providing functionally comprehensive, reliable, high performance, secure and highly available access to the Oracle Database from various client drivers, including proprietary, standards-based and open-source drivers. The group works on the high level drivers, the Oracle Call Interface (OCI) layer, the Oracle wire protocol (TTC) and highly scalable server side protocol handlers that together connect an application written in any language securely to the Oracle Database Server to provide full featured access to the Oracle Database.
There are numerous consumers of our work both within and outside of Oracle. To name a few, the consumers of the Database Access components include the JDBC, ODP.Net, PHP OCI8 extension, ruby-oci8, Perl DBD::oracle, R and Python cx_oracle, various Oracle tools such as SQL*Plus, Real Application Testing (RAT), SQL*Loader, Data-pump, and numerous applications both inside and outside of Oracle such as Peoplesoft, Hyperion, Siebel, and SAP. The Oracle Database itself is a consumer of our components for talking to other Oracle Databases for Distributed SQL, Standby Database and Replicated Database scenarios. We work on a variety of problems that challenge us to come up with innovative solutions that further raise the already high bar for Oracle Database. The work we do has resulted in a large number of patents awarded to the members of the team. The close interaction of the database access layer with other components enables team members to also gain significant exposure to the internal workings of other database kernel components.
Our products include the Oracle Call Interface (OCI), Oracle C++ Call Interface (OCCI), C/C++/Java/Cobol Precompilers, Open Database Connectivity (ODBC), Oracle driver for the statistical language R, and SQL*Plus. We also contribute to some of the open source drivers for Oracle Database.
Description of the Role: Actual job responsibilities/tasks
As a member of the software engineering division, you will take an active role in the definition and evolution of standard practices and procedures. You will be responsible for defining and developing software for tasks associated with the developing, designing and debugging of software for Oracle Database and Database drivers.
Day-to-day duties to be performed and scope of responsibility:
- Designs, Writes, edits, and debugs new computer programs for assigned projects.
- Developing new programs and proofing the program to develop needed changes to assure production of a quality product.
- Tests new programs to ensure that logic and syntax are correct, and that program results are accurate; assists lower-level programmers with programming assignments.
- Document code consistently throughout the development process by listing a description of the program, special instructions, and any changes made.
- Provide assistance to testers and support personnel as needed to determine system problems.
- Processing and performing all jobs in an efficient manner
- Promptly and professionally address bug reports.
- Analysis of current programs including performance, diagnosis and trouble shooting of problem programs, and designing solutions to problematic programming.
- Enhancement and improvements to Database Driver for Oracle, Oracle Database programmatic interfaces
- Provide database access to Open Source Languages such as ROracle, PHP, Python, etc.
- Contribute to Database access infrastructure projects for the 20c Database release and beyond
- Responsible for utilizing tools and equipment involved in performance of essential functions of programming including measuring instruments. Tools include compilers, debuggers on Linux/UNIX and Windows platform, and profiling tools supplied with the OS.
- Use top-down or bottom-up software development or SCRUM depending on the project/task.
- Write Functional, Design and Unit test specification documents
- All projects undertaken must be completed in timely fashion with greatest quality
- Follow Oracle standards for Software Development
- Attend and solve customer bugs promptly
- Attend and solve internal bugs and regression tests
Detailed Description and Job Requirements
Design, develop, troubleshoot and debug software programs for databases, applications, tools, networks etc.
As a member of the software engineering division, you will assist in defining and developing software for tasks associated with the developing, debugging or designing of software applications or operating systems. Provide technical leadership to other software developers. Specify, design and implement modest changes to existing software architecture to meet changing needs.
Duties and tasks are varied and complex needing independent judgment. Fully competent in own area of expertise. May have project lead role and or supervise lower level personnel. BS or MS degree or equivalent experience relevant to functional area. 4 years of software engineering or related experience.
Oracle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability and protected veterans status or any other characteristic protected by law.