San Diego, California Req #: 1902155
Location: San Diego, California, United States
Job Category: Legal
Work Location: 10300 Campus Point Drive 92121
Employee Status: Full-time
Job Type: Regular
We are looking for a Corporate Counsel, Patent to join our team in San Diego, CA!
Responsibilities include, but are not limited toPatent Filing and Prosecution:
- Creates the internal and team culture, forums and collaborative processes to identify and evaluate potential IP opportunities and encourages the creation and protection of IP to ensure long-term competitive advantage.
- Oversees all aspects of patent application preparation and prosecution for multiple Research & Development projects including identification of new inventions, patentability and FTO searching, lifecycle management and integration of acquired/licensed patent portfolios.
- Manages and directs relationships with outside counsel, including patent prosecution/ assessment, assessment of infringement claims, and provision of support for patent litigation.
- Collaboratively manages IP aspects of company’s alliance partnerships, effectively monitoring, guiding and reporting on alliance-related IP development.
- Provides high quality legal advice to clients, including management, regarding the company’s Intellectual Property.
- Effectively advises relevant management and project teams on material strategic and tactical IP matters and how to manage risks.
- Provides counseling and training to the Research & Development organization on key legal/compliance topics, in coordination with other members of the legal team.
- Collaborates with IP colleagues to develop and implement “best IP practices” within the department and organization as a whole.
- Participates in assigned due diligence evaluations, performed internally and in partnership with external resources, and evaluates and reports on IP risks attendant to the contemplated transaction, as appropriate.
- Collaborates with business development to negotiate and draft agreements in execution of the company’s corporate transaction and alliance management strategies.
- Confirms that assumptions relating to exclusivity and overall IP strength are accurate and consistent in financial models prior to contemplated transaction.
- Juris Doctorate admitted to practice law in California
- Admitted to practice before US Patent Office.
- Graduate degree in Organic Chemistry, Pharmacology or Biochemistry, or equivalent industrial laboratory experience required.
- Undergraduate degree in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Biology required.
- Law firm and pharmaceutical corporate practice experience required, with minimum 7 years combined experience
- Experience with both small molecules and biologics preferred
- Demonstrated experience in patent preparation and prosecution, licensing and negotiation, mergers and acquisitions and due diligence, litigation, strategic client counseling.
- Demonstrated success as a strong patent prosecution professional.
- Ability to make strategic decisions relating to the company’s overall vision and objectives.
- Strong presentation skills and ability to explain complex legal and technical issues simply and clearly to laypeople.
- Strong desire to proactively engage with clients
- Good contract negotiation and drafting skills.
About UsCOMMITTED TO IMPROVING THE LIVES OF PATIENTS WORLDWIDE
At Celgene, we seek to deliver truly innovative and life-changing drugs for our patients. Our vision as a company is to build a major global biopharmaceutical corporation while focusing on the discovery, the development, and the commercialization of products for the treatment of cancer and other severe, immune, inflammatory conditions.
"At Celgene, we seek to deliver truly innovative and life-changing drugs for our patients."
There are more than 300 clinical trials at major medical centers using compounds from Celgene. Investigational compounds are being studied for patients with incurable hematological and solid tumor cancers, including multiple myeloma, myelodysplastic syndromes, chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (NHL), triple-negative breast cancer and pancreatic cancer. As committed as we are to clinical accomplishment, we are equally committed to patient support, which is a guiding principle at Celgene. We believe all who can benefit from our discoveries should have the opportunity to do so. Celgene puts patients first with industry-leading programs that provide information, support and access to our innovative therapies.