Seattle, United States
Airbnb is a mission-driven company dedicated to helping create a world where anyone can belong anywhere. It takes a unified team committed to our core values to achieve this goal. Airbnb's various functions embody the company's innovative spirit and our fast-moving team is committed to leading as a 21st century company.
What is Airbnb Community Support Platform (CSP)?
Airbnb’s Community Support vision is to build the world's most loyal travel community through exceptional service. Community Support Platform enables realizing this vision through intelligent and automated solutions that empower our community (Guest and Hosts) and support ambassadors to quickly resolve the issues. We are currently executing on a multi-year roadmap to build the next general support platform that will be utilized across all of Airbnb to deliver delightful support experiences across all channels and contact touchpoints utilizing AI/ML, automation and data insights. Our vision is to reduce customer pain points and increase first contact resolution through proactive and powerful self solve, mutual solve and ambassador solutions. Data Platform and 360 view of the customer insights play a critical role in delivering this vision.
Why Data @ Airbnb and CSP?Data is fundamental to Airbnb’s success. We are a rapidly growing company and establishing a data foundation to support tremendous growth. As stated earlier, data is the foundation that drives our experiences, intelligence and proactive resolution for customer’s needs. In support of this, we are rebuilding our Data Engineering practice across the company to deliver on this customer experience vision.
To support the CSP vision, the team processes large amounts of online and offline customer data to generate business insights / intelligence in real time. The CSP Data team helps power machine learning, intelligence and automation by making high quality and timely data available.
CSP Data Architect Role:We are seeking a hands-on data architect, to provide technical leadership to the CSP data engineering team and guide the rest of the CSP engineering team in data best practices. This position is a pivotal technical leadership role and demands strong leadership, collaboration and influencing across the organization. As CSP Data Architect, you will be working with current and emerging data platforms, guiding teams on delivery, best practices and owning accountability for data quality. Your prior experience in building large scale data solutions with Hands-on development experience, excellent analytical skills, flexibility, innovative thinking, problem solving, conflict management, and self-motivation will be needed. You will use your excellent communication and influencing skills to collaborate with product, engineering and operations teams. If you have a strong understanding of how to build a modern and large scale data architecture, this is a great fit and an exciting opportunity. We are interested in talking to you.
- Lead designing and reviewing all aspects of modern data and analytic platforms including artifact creation such as ERD, architecture design and other technical documents.
- Provide leadership and expertise in the development of logging standards, data governance, data processing principles, design patterns and practices.
- Develop innovative strategies, processes and best practices to reduce technical debt, improve data quality and increase observability and reliability to enable both business continuity and technology transformation for Community Support.
- Accountable for the overall data platform design and data quality. Works with their EMs and PMs to ensure tech debt progress and coverage for tech initiatives.
- Research, design, test, and evaluate new technologies, platforms and third party products.
- Build consensus with various business stakeholders and technology leaders around solutions and provide mentorship and support for teams during implementation.
- Represent Community Support Data Platform in Engineering architecture reviews and influence logging to support data flows, architecting logging best practices wherever needed.
- Be the voice of the engineer and escalate/provide visibility to execution challenges to engineering leadership. Maximizing the growth and impact of other senior engineers at Airbnb through mentorship, advice, and leading groups designed to align technical initiatives and decisions.
- Contribute to shared Data Engineering tooling & standards to improve the productivity and quality of output for Data Engineers across the company.
- Partnership / collaboration with ML teams on data availability and signal consolidation.
- Collaboration with the Airbnb data community in establishing best practices, standards and contributing to the overall data outcomes across the company.
- 9+ years of relevant industry experience leading development of a modern data architecture and Data governance.
- Working with large scale data platforms including experience with HBase, Spark, Hive, Kafka, Flink, etc.
- Experience designing, building and operating robust distributed processing systems with reliable monitoring and logging practices.
- Effectively work across team boundaries to establish overarching data architecture, and provide guidance to individual teams.
- Working knowledge of relational databases and query authoring (SQL).
- Experience with Java / Scala / Spark / Python is preferred.
- Expert in building scalable SQL / NoSQL data architectures.
- Solid understanding of data processing needs of real-time and batch systems for transactional and analytical processing.
- Bachelor’s and/or Master’s degree in CS/EE, or equivalent experience.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.