Type of contract
Who can apply?
EU nationals eligible for our traineeship programme (see further information section)
The trainee grant is €1,070 per month plus an accommodation allowance (see further information section)
Place of work
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- We are looking for motivated and enthusiastic candidates to join as trainees in one of the three divisions of the strategic planning unit in the Directorate Supervisory Strategy and Risk at the European Central Bank. The Directorate has approximately 65 staff members and is responsible for identifying the main risks faced by the European banking sector and proposing priorities, strategic planning and the risk tolerance framework for the Single Supervisory Mechanism (SSM). Given its mandate to act as a second line of defence, the Directorate helps to ensure that supervisory actions and supervisory priorities remain in alignment. We work collaboratively and make use of independent perspectives. Overall, our work contributes to effective, risk-based banking supervision and promotes consistent supervisory outcomes.
- The Single Supervisory Mechanism (SSM) is the system of banking supervision in Europe. It comprises the ECB and the national supervisory authorities of the participating countries.
- The ECB is an inclusive employer and strives to reflect the diversity of the population it serves. We encourage you to apply irrespective of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, race, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or other characteristics.
Your tasks as a trainee will be supervised by a colleague in your operating unit.
As a trainee you will be expected to
- contribute to the team’s ongoing work and new initiatives;
- prepare presentations, conduct data analysis and carry out market research or benchmarking studies, while also creating and running surveys;
- contribute to the development of ECB Banking Supervision’s risk identification, assessment and monitoring framework;
- support the definition of the supervisory priorities and their translation into strategic planning;
- develop analytical tools to identify and monitor risks in the banking sector and specific supervisory risks;
- support ex-ante and/or ex-post reviews of supervisory outcomes;
- contribute to the Directorate’s other projects (e.g. in the fields of operational risk management, or following up on audit findings, etc.)
This traineeship offers you excellent opportunities to gain insights into the way the ECB works, acquire hands-on experience in an area of interest to you, and put your theoretical knowledge into practice. You will be part of a multicultural team that strives for continuous professional excellence and innovation to make a positive impact on the lives of European citizens.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- a bachelor’s degree or higher in economics, finance, mathematics, statistics, business administration, auditing, risk management, information technology or another relevant subject;
- a general interest in banking supervision and European affairs;
- basic knowledge and understanding of the functioning of the ECB and the SSM;
- basic knowledge of the objectives and main areas of EU financial regulation, in particular the Capital Requirements Regulation, the Capital Requirements Directive and the Bank Recovery and Resolution Directive;
- a good knowledge of the MS Office package;
- an advanced (C1) command of English and an intermediate (B1) command of at least one other official language of the EU,
- good understanding of the risks to the banking sector and ideally banking risk management practices;
- strong analytical skills and an ability to develop quantitative risks analyses;
- advanced knowledge of MS Excel, including the ability to develop formulas, conditional formatting, pivot tables and macros;
- good knowledge of at least one coding language;
- experience in consultancy, banking, auditing, supervision and/or project management;
- interest in operational risk management, business continuity and/or crisis management topics.
You are curious and eager to learn and want to further develop your ability to analyse complex information. You are keen to collaborate with others, pursue team goals and learn from other people’s diverse perspectives. You strive to know and anticipate stakeholder needs and will signal any need for change and propose alternative solutions.
You are motivated to contribute to the ECB’s mission, to serve the citizens of the EU as a member of a public institution and to work with colleagues from all over Europe. You are keen to be part of our team and to use your skills and competencies to achieve the objectives of this position.
Playing a role in European banking supervision entails collaborating in multinational and multicultural teams and operating in the context of different national frameworks, for which a strong ability to use different EU languages for business purposes is an asset.
Traineeship of 6 months, extendable for another 6 months to a total of 12 months. The traineeships will have varying starting dates from August 2021 to be agreed with successful candidates.
Application and selection process
The recruitment process for this position will include a pre-recorded video interview in the pre-selection phase and – if you are invited to participate in the subsequent selection phase – an online interview via Webex.