Type of contract
Fixed-term contract which may be converted into a permanent contract after three years subject to individual performance and organisational needs
Who can apply?
People of all nationalities
F/G (1) (minimum monthly net salary €4,914 and benefits, see further information section)
Place of work
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- You will be part of the English Translation and Editing Section of the Directorate General Communications’ Language Services Division. The Division comprises four sections and a Language Technology and Innovation unit. We are responsible for providing the ECB with linguistic expertise and support in the official languages of the EU, in close collaboration with the national central banks and national supervisory authorities.
- In your role as English Translator, you will be part of a team of English native speaker-standard translators who provide translation, editing, proofreading and terminology services in/into English to support the ECB’s communication activities and to help the ECB comply with its reporting obligations.
- The ECB is an inclusive employer and we strive to reflect the diversity of the population we serve. We encourage you to apply irrespective of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, race, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or other characteristics. For this position, applications will be accepted from EU and non-EU nationals.
- produce high-quality translations into English from two official EU languages (one of which must be Spanish or Italian) of a broad range of materials in the fields of banking supervision and monetary policy;
- contribute to the drafting/editing of public communication and website content, including those relating to speeches and interviews as well as social media posts, for the general public;
- edit and proofread ECB materials in the fields of banking supervision and monetary policy which have been drafted in English by native and non-native speakers, correcting errors of grammar, consistency and style, and ensuring a high-quality finished product tailored to the target audience;
- quality-check/revise editing and translation work produced both externally and in house;
- contribute to developing clear writing initiatives, updating the ECB’s English Style Guide, and providing linguistic and drafting advice in English.
The position offers you excellent opportunities to make a key contribution to the communication initiatives of the Section, Division and Directorate General. You will be part of a multicultural team that strives for continuous innovation to make a positive impact on the lives of European citizens.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- a master’s degree or equivalent in languages or another relevant field such as economics or law (click for details on degree equivalences);
- in addition to the above, at least two full years’ documented experience as a professional translator/editor or a track record of performing the tasks required by the position;
- a C2 (native speaker standard) command of English and C2 (mastery level) command of two other official languages of the EU (one of which must be Spanish or Italian) according to the ;
- professional experience in drafting impactful content for websites and social media and in editing/translating high-level speeches and interviews;
- experience in translating using computer-assisted translation tools such as SDL Trados Studio and an interest in machine translation;
- a sound knowledge of MS Office, such as Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- an advanced (C1) command of further official EU languages;
- a sound knowledge of banking supervision, economics and/or central banking issues;
- experience of working in a central banking and/or financial regulatory environment;
- familiarity with the ECB and/or other EU or international organisations.
You engage collaboratively with others. You pursue team goals and learn willingly from other people’s diverse perspectives. You signal any need for change by explaining it and proposing alternative solutions. You analyse complex information effectively and can evaluate different views to arrive at solutions. You know and anticipate stakeholder needs.
You are motivated to contribute to the ECB’s mission, to serve the citizens of the EU as a member of a public institution and to work with colleagues from all over Europe. You are aware of your strengths and areas for development and know what motivates you to perform at your highest level.
We are willing to discuss part-time arrangements.
- For this position, applications will be accepted from EU and non-EU nationals.
- The contract may be converted into a permanent contract after three years subject to individual performance and organisational needs.
- For additional information on this specific vacancy, you can speak to the hiring manager, Denise Scott, on +49 (0) 69 1344 7690 between 14.00 and 15:00 on Friday, 9 April.
Application and selection process
For further information on how to join us, .
The recruitment process for this position will include a remote written exercise and an online interview via Webex.