Type of contract
Who can apply?
EU nationals eligible for our traineeship programme (see further information section)
The trainee grant is €1,070 per month plus an accommodation allowance (see further information section)
Place of work
Frankfurt am Main, Germany
You will take part in a unique one-year trainee programme, working on internal audit activities with colleagues from across Europe. You may spend the entire year at the ECB in Frankfurt am Main, Germany, or you may divide your time between the ECB and either (i) the national central bank of an EU country or (ii) a national supervisory authority participating in the Single Supervisory Mechanism. You will work under the guidance of experienced auditors, following a dedicated training programme focusing on the technical audit skills and the related soft skills that are required to become an auditor. While working at the ECB, you will be part of a multicultural team of around 45 members of staff who are responsible for providing independent and objective assurance and consulting services with a view to adding value and improving the ECB’s operations. The team strives for continuous innovation to make a positive impact on the lives of European citizens.
The ECB is an inclusive employer and we strive to reflect the diversity of the population we serve. We encourage you to apply irrespective of age, disability, ethnicity, gender, gender identity, race, religious beliefs, sexual orientation or other characteristics.
- prepare process review documentation in specific areas (e.g. flowcharts, written control assessments and narrative descriptions);
- contribute to the preparation of technical documents, working papers and reports dealing with particular stages of audit programmes and supporting fieldwork;
- apply different approaches and techniques in response to specific issues;
- analyse complex processes and procedures with a view to proposing improvements;
- establish and maintain successful working relationships with fellow auditors and colleagues in other business areas;
- support and work with a wide range of professionals at all levels of the relevant organisation.
This position will offer excellent opportunities to: (i) learn more about the functioning of the Eurosystem, the ESCB and European banking supervision; (ii) gain extensive insight into internal audit activities at the ECB (and potentially also a national central bank or a national supervisory authority); (iii) use your language skills in a professional environment; (iv) gain practical experience of working with highly skilled professionals on audit missions; and (v) take part in a structured training programme looking at the role of an auditor at the organisation(s) to which you are assigned.
Qualifications, experience and skills
- a bachelor’s degree or higher in internal audit, business administration, information technology, accounting, finance, controlling or another relevant discipline;
- an interest in internal audit;
- knowledge of the functioning of the Eurosystem, the ESCB and European banking supervision;
- a good knowledge of the MS Office package, particularly Word, Excel and PowerPoint;
- an advanced (C1) command of English and an intermediate (B1) command of at least one other official language of the EU,
- a master’s degree in internal audit, business administration, information technology, accounting, finance, controlling or another relevant discipline;
- knowledge of the International Professional Practices Framework established by the Institute of Internal Auditors;
- knowledge of financial institutions;
- practical experience in one or more of the following fields: internal audit, IT audit, business administration, information technology, accounting, finance or controlling;
- an advanced (C1) command of other official languages of the EU.
You are curious and eager to learn, and want to further develop your ability to analyse complex information. You are keen to collaborate with others, pursue team goals and learn from other people’s diverse perspectives. You strive to know and anticipate stakeholder needs, and will signal any need for change and propose alternative solutions.
You are motivated to contribute to the ECB’s mission, to serve the citizens of the EU as a member of a public institution and to work with colleagues from all over Europe. You are keen to be part of our team and to use your skills and competencies to achieve the objectives of this position.
This traineeship will comprise either (i) a year-long assignment at the ECB or (ii) a shorter assignment at the ECB and another at a national central bank or a national supervisory authority (subject to developments in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic). It may also involve additional business travel. For the assignment at the ECB, you will, , receive a monthly accommodation allowance or be given free accommodation at one of the ECB residences. For assignments at national central banks or national supervisory authorities, a monthly accommodation allowance will be paid.
Traineeship of 12 months in total.
For additional information on this specific vacancy, you can speak to Vickie Cain on +49 152 0151 6264 between 15:00 and 16:00 CET on Monday, 29 March or between 15:00 and 16:00 CET on Monday, 12 April.
Application and selection process
The recruitment process for this position will include an online interview via Webex.