Job Summary:The Corporate Legal-Distribution group is responsible for negotiating for the distribution in the US and Canada of all feature films of Walt Disney Studios (including Disney, Disney-Pixar, Marvel, LucasFilm) and networks, series and programs of Disney Media Networks (including both Walt Disney Television (ABC, Disney Channel, Freeform, and the FX and National Geographic suites of networks) and ESPN) across all platforms and business models, including cable, satellite and OTT distribution of Walt Disney Television’s broadcast and cable networks, as well as the sale of feature films, television programs and series into broadcast syndication, basic cable, pay television, and OTT platforms such as subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) and ad-supported video-on-demand (ADVOD). The group also supports the distribution of Disney+ and ESPN+ on app platforms, connected devices and smart TVs. Attorneys in this group are responsible for negotiating and drafting agreements covering the above-mentioned distribution arrangements, and advising business executives on related legal, regulatory and policy matters.
We are seeking an Assistant General Counsel – Program Sales and Distribution to join our team.
- Draft, negotiate and distribution agreements with distribution partners across a wide variety of platforms and business models, including broadcast syndication, basic cable, pay television, and digital OTT platforms such as SVOD and ADVOD.
- Advice and counsel to business and legal personnel regarding distribution issues and analysis of contractual provisions. Where necessary, interface with and seek advice from other legal teams within TWDC, including intellectual property, litigation, tax, anti-trust, etc.
- Manage a team of legal professionals and support staff supporting Disney’s Direct-to-Consumer and International program sales organization with respect to the negotiation and interpretations of the above-mentioned agreements, as well as related legal, regulatory and policy issues.
- Ongoing oversight of legacy agreements, including legal issues related to distribution relationships, e.g., MFN compliance.
- Minimum 12 years of law firm or in-house transactional experience.
- Significant experience drafting and negotiating complex TV and/or feature film distribution agreements, including on both traditional broadcast/cable and digital OTT platforms, required.
- Experience drafting, negotiating and interpreting related contractual provisions (including most favored nations provisions) required.
- Exposure to and an understanding of matters relative to all forms of intellectual property.
- Admission to California State Bar Association or willingness and qualification to be Registered In-House Counsel.