The Institute of Transporation Systems develops solutions for user-oriented assistance and automated systems, operates a transportation data platform and analyses geodata for the creation and extension of the knowledge base. The systems implemented in this context are evaluated in simulations, in test fields or in real roads and railway tracks.
The operation of data management system for the acquisition, administration and provision of data is an essential building block for several projects carried out in the Institute. Through the wide research work, diverse data is generated, which must be correctly stored in data structures in order to be correlated later. This includes not only the data collected in the Institute, but also datasets from open data portals which are available for free. The data types include different road and railway networks, infrastructure elements, measurement data, weather data, trajectories and timetables.
For the further development and integration of the developed data management system, the institute is looking for a computer scientist with profound knowdege in the field of data engineering and databases. An interest in distributed systems and the development of complex system architectures is desirable. One of the tasks consists of the spezification, coordination and further development of complex datamodels and interfaces in the areas of digital maps, measuring data as also as data with a transportation context. Another task consists of the spezification, coordination and further development of methods and tools in the area of Research Data Management (RDM) and multimodal data managemet systems. The coordination of work packages as also as project management roles in national and international projects are also expected tasks.
- Evaluation of standardised file exchange formats and data models based on project requirements. As also as in in the process of homogenizating the used formats and data models aiming the increase of the research data quality in the institute
- Participation as also as representing the DLR in standardisation panels
- Conception and development of methods and tools in the area of Research Data Management (RDM) focusing on enhancing the handling of research data
- Conception and migration of existing data management systems into a integrated multimodal transportation management system
- Development of methods for the management of complex and heterogeneous datasets in the fields of big data and smart data
- Development and/or extension of existing complex database schemas, file exchange formats and software interfaces
- Publish research activites and results
- Assistence in the management of data management systems
- Lead national and international projects in the above mentioned fields
- Acquisition of external projects, survey of project calls as also as actively work in the application of proposals
- Completed scientific university studies (diploma/master) in computer science or a comparable course of studies
- Doctorate or compatible proof of scientific qualification including relevant publications (German/English) in the area of data engineering
- Profound experience in the field of data engineering, particularly in the modelling of data structures, data lifecycle processes and data quality
- Specialized knowledge in the integration/fusion from complex datasets as also as specialized knowledge in the area of Ontologies
- Profound Experience in working with relational databases, such as Oracle or PostgreSQL
- Secure handling of Linux/Unix and Windows operational systems
- Programming knowledge, particularly in Java and/or Python
- Several years of project experience in science, preferably with experience in acquiring and managing nationally and internationally (e.g. EU) funded research projects
- Good self-organisation and a high level of independent initiative in the processing of complex scientific and technical issues
- Ability to quickly familiarize yourself with unknown circumstances and complex interrelationships including new tools and methods in the data engineering area
- Fluent in German and English, spoken and written
- Knowledge and experience in the field of software interfaces, such as REST or SOAP
- Knowledge in handling standardised interfaces such as OGC WFS, OGC SOS and standardised exchange formats such as RailML, OpenDRIVE, OGC SensorML and OGC O&M is an advantage
- Knowledge in the area of processing big datasets using frameworks such as Apache Hadoop, Apache Kafka, Apache Spark or Apache Flink is an advantage
- Knowledge in handling HDF5 or NetCDF data exchange formats is desirable
Look forward to a fulfilling job with an employer who appreciates your commitment and supports your personal and professional development.Our unique infrastructure offers you a working environment in which you have unparalled scope to develop your creative ideas and accomplish your professional objectives.Our human resources policy places great value on a healthy family and work-life-balance as well as equal opportunities for persons of all genders (m/f/non-binary).Individuals with disabilities will be given preferential consideration in the event their qualifications are equivalent to those of other candidates.