Job Location: Hershey, PAJob Summary:
This position is a subject matter expert role on the Hershey Engineering Team. This individual must possess a highly successful track record of developing and designing energy efficient mechanical systems as well as leading and managing their implementation. Confirmation to be verified by professional references. The individual must have the drive to advance their career within the Hershey Engineering Team while being highly interested and involved in the professional development of younger engineers and project managers. The successful candidate will be fully versed in Mechanical/HVAC and Utility System knowledge required by the Hershey Company to support all industrial functions as well as commercial office buildings. A broader comprehensive knowledge of construction management, conceptual budgeting and varied construction delivery methods is a prerequisite. The candidate will be expected to provide Mechanical systems engineering advice and set direction in the delivery of new and asset renewal utility system projects. This Mechanical/Utility Subject Matter Expert (SME) will interact with all disciplines within The Hershey Engineering organization and be relied upon to provide expertise and insight in a wide range of operational matters. The Staff Mechanical Engineer will be called upon to review future projects for completeness and ensure proposed mechanical systems solutions facilitate maximum return on capital investment. Expectations are to challenge and advance new ways of achieving best in value utility systems as well as energy efficiency and sustainability to support manufacturing of the company’s core brands. In addition, this individual will collaborate with colleagues across all global businesses to develop and modernize Hershey’s Engineering Standards and ensure they make sense in any of our local manufacturing regions.
- The Construction and Utility Systems Engineering Group utilizes all aspects of conceptual engineering design, cost estimation techniques, project proposal development, supplier evaluations, equipment and system installation/start up, and successful transition of the system to the plant operating and maintenance staff. The job incumbent will be required to provide the optimal mechanical solution for the given project. These solutions will include mechanical engineering support for all phases of the capital projects including development of system concepts, design, cost estimating, system installation, check-out, commissioning, and successful transition of deliverables, including system operation manuals, maintenance documents, and technical knowledge to the plant staff This individual must demonstrate a willingness to identify mechanical engineering alternatives that meet new business requirements or establish functional excellence.
- Provides technical leadership and professional guidance as a Mechanical Engineering Subject Matter Expert, (SME) for The Hershey Company and is fully versed in the in the practice of The Hershey Company Mechanical and Utility Engineering activities within the Hershey Engineering Department. Subject Matter Experience must include expertise in many of the following applications: design and maintenance of general facility mechanical systems including utility supports systems, hot and chilled water systems, glycol applications and controls, steam generating and distribution systems, ammonia refrigeration systems, space conditioning HVAC equipment and duct systems and related BMS control systems, compressed air systems, have the ability to size pumps, fans and heat exchangers (Perform heat transfer calculations), write sequence of operations of operations for HVAC systems, perform heating and cooling load calculations, design humidification and dehumidification and compressed air systems and make proper and timely selection of equipment.
- Incumbent must possess demonstrated field construction experience relevant to leading design, procurement, installation, construction management and start up of all systems and operations as described in the Subject Matter Experience noted above.
- Incumbent must have demonstrated proficiencies in the food or pharmaceutical industry that is relative to Hershey manufacturing processes, construction practices, standards and codes that support manufacturing and provide a competitive business advantage.
- Must exhibit sound judgement in all aspects of the role, be highly proficient in the development of engineering solutions and have the ability to evaluate, communicate and build consensus cross-functionally associated with increasingly complex and fast paced projects as well as being an ethical and effective negotiator with outside vendors.
- A key aspect of the role is to mentor younger engineers on a continual basis.
- Capable of leading and managing diverse projects teams comprised of less experienced engineers, plant engineers and teams along with a broad composition of external contractors and suppliers. Able to simultaneously manage multiple large and complex unit operations, devises methods and procedures to ensure mechanical and process equipment systems operate as designed.
- May represent the Company in professional and industrial organizations as required. This allows individual to build a strong professional network, maintain freshness by learning current industry practices, and provides opportunity to benchmark mechanical engineering skills and new technology.
- May also be required when appropriate, to act as a Project Manager and Mechanical Utility lead to execute critical utility and process focused engineering projects. Must communicate business critical project activities effectively to all levels of management and manage project process budget, schedule decisions, and ultimately final project results. Works well independently, can function well as an individual contributor on a project team, or may be required to manage a small group of engineers as part of a larger project team.
Role Responsibilities:Actively leads, develops, and manages large Mechanical Utility system projects of significant dollar amounts that have the potential to impact The Hershey Company businesses. Major responsibilities include: Preparing feasibility assessments and capital cost estimates for various mechanical utility related equipment-related projects both new and asset renewal; supporting the process and packaging engineering functions with required HVAC and utility supply design and implementation/start up support. Management of outside engineering and construction management resources to implement The Hershey Company’s annual capital budget as well as trouble shooting discipline specific operational issues globally.
Able to simultaneously lead and manage multiple mechanical utility systems capital projects and manage a large and diverse contractor and supplier base as capital projects are implemented. Leverage outside engineering resources as necessary to support all work activities.
Ensures all project implementation activities are in full compliance with all corporate capital control policies and procedures. Ensures all assigned technical team members are working in a collective manner, work is technically correct for the project scope, and all efforts are executed in a manner to maintain project budget and schedule.
When directing and managing non-THC persons contracted to support the project implementation commitments, represents the Company in a manner as outlined in the Corporate Code of Business Ethics, and ensures all contractors and suppliers adhere to applicable Company safety, security, and contractual requirements.
- Provides Critical Strategic Directional Input
- Actively involved in the development of future mechanical/utility systems capital projects that have the potential to have major impact to Hershey Company businesses. Provides systems technical development, schedule, and budgeting recommendations during project development assessments.
- Supplies key engineering functional evaluations and direction to Hershey Engineering and Global Operations management to ensure comprehensive project scopes, equipment schedules, and capital budgets are developed. In addition, the subject matter expert HVAC utility engineer is expected to challenge, and critique project scope and capital budget developed to ensure optimal functional design for our manufacturing network while meeting The Hershey Company capital goals.
- Secures the Strength of the Hershey Engineering Department by Creating Future Mechanical/Utility Subject Matter Experts
- Provides mentoring and coaching to engineers, technical specialists, and project managers, plant technical assurance managers and plant utility engineers to provide opportunities for them to develop essential mechanical, HVAC and utility technical skills. Focus will also be on developing critical thinking and creativity in all mentees, so they can work through the technically complex situations that they will run into in the future. This is key to create the next generation of The Hershey Company’s mechanical technical capabilities and leadership personnel.
- BS and/or MS in Mechanical Engineering or other Engineering Discipline. P.E Preferred
- 10 plus years of major Mechanical/HVAC and Utility systems engineering and onsite construction experience
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The policy of The Hershey Company is to extend opportunities to qualified applicants and employees on an equal basis regardless of an individual's race, color, gender, age, national origin, religion, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, transgender status, physical or mental disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other categories protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
The Hershey Company is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Disabled/Protected Veterans