Are you a qualified civil engineer with experience in the design, build and maintenance of surfaced and unsurfaced roads? Would you like to work in the beautiful unspoiled landscape of the Falkland Islands? If so, come and join our Highways section as Assistant Roads Engineer to support our accelerated programme of infrastructure development over the coming years.
The RoleThe Assistant Roads Engineer will be required to assist the Roads Engineer with the day-to-day running of the Highways Section of the Public Works Department and oversee the construction and maintenance of all roads and associated assets in the Falkland Islands. The post holder will also be required to deputise for the Roads Engineer in his absence.
The PersonApplicants should hold a recognised civil engineering degree (BSc or BEng) and have a minimum 6 years civil engineering experience in highways, with either a design consultancy or civil engineering contractor, including at least 3 years at this level. With a mixture of both on-site and office based highways experience.
In addition, applicants must have proven sound experience of design & build in maintaining surfaced and un-surfaced roads have excellent interpersonal and communication skills and a full valid manual driving license.
- At least six years civil engineering experience in highways.
- Experience of maintaining surfaced and un-surfaced roads.
- BSc/BEng qualification in a relevant degree subject (e.g. Civil Engineering).
- Computer literate, proficient in the use of AutoCAD, Microsoft Office and Microsoft Project.
- Organised approach to meeting deadlines and prioritising conflicting demands.
- Full valid manual driving license.
- Initial 2-4 Years Fixed Term Contract, with potential for extension by mutual agreement.
- Salary Range £37-45k, starting salaries will be dependent upon experience.
- 25% Gratuity, paid upon successful completion of the contract.
- 30 Days Annual Leave, plus government and public holidays (totalling 41 days leave).
- Relocation Allowance, to help with moving costs.
- Flights Package for you and your dependents, including mid-term return flight home.
- Government Housing for rent at a subsidised rate and a starter pack to help you settle in.
How to ApplyPlease complete our online application form.
Applications will be open until 20 September 2019 with interviews to be held over skype in the week commencing 30 September 2019.
If you have any questions about this vacancy and how to apply, you can contact our HR team on
The Working Environment
Public Works DepartmentResponsible for the development, construction and maintenance of key infrastructure required to support our community in the Falkland Islands, the Public Works Department is one of the largest departments in FIG.
Falkland Islands Government (FIG)The Falkland Islands is a British Overseas Territory, with full internal self-government.
As the largest employer in the Falkland Islands, we offer many unique and fulfilling job opportunities, across the full spectrum of public services. Our responsibilities include those typically managed by central government – taxation, legislation and policy, as well as those usually managed on a local level such as town planning, health and social services, and education. FIG also provides services specific to the needs of the Falkland Islands, such as fisheries research, power generation and the Government Air Service, FIGAS.
For more information about working for Falkland Islands Government, take a look at our recruitment microsite:
The Falkland IslandsSet in the South Atlantic Ocean, around 400 miles east of South America and 8000 miles south-west of the UK, the Falkland Islands are a small, thriving community with a British way of life, benefiting from good local services, a varied social calendar and an absence of traffic jams!
The Falkland Islands’ stunning natural environment provides an unspoiled landscape and amazing wildlife to observe and explore, including penguins, whales and dolphins, all seen from the shore.
For those with a sense of adventure, it provides opportunities which are hard to match anywhere else in the world.