SEVILLA, Spain Req #: 1902006
Location: SEVILLA, Spain
Job Category: Research and Early Development
Work Location: Calla Americo Vespucio 41092
Organization: Computational Biology
Employee Status: Full-time
Job Type: Fixed_Term
Research Analytics is a global team of computational scientists, operating across six R&D sites. We pursue innovative computational research towards Celgene objectives, across domains ranging from bioinformatics, computational biology to machine learning, systems biology and mathematical modeling.
Current areas of investigation include application and development of novel computational approaches to unravel the mechanism of action of Celgene’s pipeline compounds and identify therapeutic targets, methods for integrative analysis of omics data, predictive approaches to patient stratification, and mathematical models of intra- and inter-cellular processes. In addition, we are involved in a range of academic collaborations aimed at understanding disease at molecular and systems level.
To join our team at the Celgene Institute for Translational Research Europe (CITRE) in Seville, Spain, we are looking for a Research Scientist, Machine Learning & Predictive Science.
The successful candidate will work closely with Celgene’s global Research Analytics team to develop and apply robust predictive methodologies across drug development programs. Patterns identified from high-throughput molecular data will contribute to discovery research, clinical programs, and prediction of patient response across a variety of oncology and inflammatory diseases of unmet medical need. Also, we encourage our scientists to identify and explore innovative ways for computational research to impact projects and guide Celgene decision making.
Prior biological or clinical expertise is not required – experience of applying machine learning to real-world problems and a strong interest in the interdisciplinary application of predictive methods to life sciences data are imperative.
(Please note: To apply for this role, you must supply both a CV and a cover letter, outlining your motivations / suitability / background)
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Implementing and developing contemporary predictive algorithms, evaluating and assessing the most suitable feature space representation and algorithm type for a given problem
- Translating biological hypotheses into robust and reproducible classification algorithms, suitable for clinical diagnostics
- Apply advanced predictive models to biomedical data and questions (in-house/public high-throughput profiling, clinical data, integration of multiple data types, mechanistic inference)
- Contribute machine learning expertise to in-house projects and external collaborations
- Presentation and reporting of methods, results and conclusions to a publishable standard
- PhD in applied machine learning, computer science, computational biology / bioinformatics or related fields, from a recognized higher-education establishment
- Prior experience (3+ years minimum) of inter-disciplinary applied machine learning in an academic or scientific research scenario
- Expertise in algorithmic implementation using both existing software libraries and de novo code and scripting (e.g. R/Matlab, Python)
- Experience with version control and high-performance computing, including cloud computing and/or big data analytics platforms
- Collaborative spirit, proven ability to contribute beyond personal projects
- Ability to understand and communicate the output of computational research to multi-disciplinary scientific teams
- Verbal and written English language fluency. Proficiency in Spanish would be advantageous
The position presents a unique opportunity to experience research in an industry setting and to contribute to helping patients with unmet medical need, while maintaining a link to academic research (publication is encouraged).
The position advertised is fixed-term (24 months) and based in Seville, Spain
About UsCOMMITTED TO IMPROVING THE LIVES OF PATIENTS WORLDWIDE
At Celgene, we seek to deliver truly innovative and life-changing drugs for our patients. Our vision as a company is to build a major global biopharmaceutical corporation while focusing on the discovery, the development, and the commercialization of products for the treatment of cancer and other severe, immune, inflammatory conditions.
"At Celgene, we seek to deliver truly innovative and life-changing drugs for our patients."
There are more than 300 clinical trials at major medical centers using compounds from Celgene. Investigational compounds are being studied for patients with incurable hematological and solid tumor cancers, including multiple myeloma, myelodysplastic syndromes, chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL), non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma (NHL), triple-negative breast cancer and pancreatic cancer. As committed as we are to clinical accomplishment, we are equally committed to patient support, which is a guiding principle at Celgene. We believe all who can benefit from our discoveries should have the opportunity to do so. Celgene puts patients first with industry-leading programs that provide information, support and access to our innovative therapies.